Since I just recently attended two company holiday parties, I decided that I should compile a short list of 5 Company Party No-No’s, aka things that you should NOT do at a Company Party.
1. Don’t over drink and get wasted – What happens at the party, will not stay at the party. Know your limits when it comes to all the free alcohol that the company provides. Anything bad that happens at the company party will follow you to work and everyone will remember you as the one who got super drunk. Another thing to not forget is that there will definitely be photos taken and probably posted up on the internet or company website.
2. Don’t dress inappropriately – Remember this is still a work party with your co-workers and bosses, not all your friends. I don’t care how close you are with your co-workers, but you need to know where to draw the line. Don’t dress too slutty, or sloppy, you still want to be able to maintain your professional appearance after the company party when you have to return to work. Don’t let people loose their respect for you!
3. Don’t forget your place in the company – Just because you chit-chat with your boss over a few drinks, does not mean that you two are now best friends! You don’t want to over step your boundaries and get too friendly. Watch what you say and be careful not to say anything that you will regret later on. Stay away from gossip or bad mouthing anyone in the company.
4. Don’t skip the party – Even if you are not very social at your work, you should still make the effort to show up, even if it is just for an hour or two. Bonding with some of your co-workers outside of the work environment is important. It allows you to get to know each other in a more casual environment. Besides, you don’t want to be known as the anti-social co-worker who didn’t want to go to the party when everyone else did go. Don’t miss out on this great opportunity.
5. Don’t forget to be polite – This might sound like a dumb tip, but this seems to be one of the things that most people tend to forget! When you get to the party, don’t just go straight for the free food and alcohol. Remember to say hello to all of your co-workers and your bosses. Also remember that it is not polite to hit on one of your co-workers that you think is hot or to say rude things to one of your co-workers that you may dislike. Everyone is there at the company party to have fun, so be nice to everyone and have a good time.