I’m not sure if you guys know or not, but I got my eyeliner tattooed recently!! I went to Sherri in Los Angeles, and paid $250 for the upper eyelid eyeliner (lower eyeliner is an extra $250).
My experience at Sherri Makeup was excellent.
I originally became interested in the idea of permanent makeup when my friend Jiawen told me that she wanted to get her eyebrows done (btw, Sherri does eyebrows for $300). That’s when I started doing some research and came across Sherri on Yelp.
The reason why I was drawn to Sherri (besides her almost perfect 5 star reviews), was that she highlights on natural beauty. I wanted eyeliner that was subtle, but enough to make a difference, and thats what I got!
I contacted Sherri through email to set an appointment for my consultation and eyeliner tattooing session. They get pretty busy, so you have to make an appointment.
The place was really easy to find and is located on the second floor of the building (above Mr. Pizza and Gangnam Style). There is a private parking lot where you (might) have to pay $1 after validation (if the guy is there).
The location is fairly small, and not exactly what I had envisioned. But I really liked how white the place looked, with the white curtains and light shinning in from the South side.
When you arrive for the first time, you are greeted by the ever so sweet front desk woman. I love her so much as she really really took care to our needs. Don’t be afraid to ask her if you need any tissues or even some water to drink!
The wait after you arrive has been typically about 15 minutes. Before you go in to meet Sherri, you have to fill out a waiver.
Around the room, there were different things written on the walls. I think this one below is about eyebrows? Is there anyone who can read Korean and translate? Haha, it’s probably not that important anyways…
There were also a bunch of frames around the area with different style eyebrows drawn out. It’s kind of fun to see the different types.
Here’s Jiawen, her boyfriend, and my best friend Teewa. Jiawen ended up getting eyebrows done, and Teewa got eyeliner like me!
Besides permanent makeup for eyeliner and eyebrows, Sherri also does lips, lash extensions, and skin care! There were 3 separate rooms that led to each. The room I went to is the one on the far right.
When it was my turn, I found that the consultation was totally not what I was expecting.
First you go into the room to meet Sherri. Then she has you sit down on the chair infront of this huge mirror. You sort of look at yourself and tell her what type of eyeliner you want and she takes into “consideration” what you are looking for.
Alright, so when I say “consideration,” I mean that she does hear some of your thoughts, but she will ignore most of them (which ISN’T a bad thing). Why isn’t this bad?
- You will have 2 sessions. During your first session, she keeps the eyeliner very simple and natural, only drawing along your lash line. She will ignore your requests to make it “thick”, but she did listen to request such as “making it thicker to thinner from outside going in”.
- It isn’t until your second session that you get to change your eyeliner to whatever style you want (thicker, longer, etc.). I think this is good because it IS semi-permanent and you don’t want to commit yourself to something too drastic so early on before seeing how you like it first.
What bothered me the most was that Sherri’s English speaking isn’t that great, so I wasn’t sure if she knew what I was saying. I sort of assumed that she could understand more than she could speak (since that’s usually the case).
I think it’s sort of funny because there are so many of these magazine cut outs and drawings on an easel next to you and the mirror, but none of it is ever used.
Overall my consultation didn’t feel like a real consultation as it only lasted less than 2-3 minutes (I think because she basically does the same super natural bare minimum eyeliner style on everyone for the first session, no matter what requests you give her). I didn’t bother trying too hard either because of the language barrier.
Here’s her set up. To the left of the consultation area is where she does the tattooing. I literally walked right over and just laid down and she got right to work.
Let’s talk about what she does during the session:
- Clean your eyelid area of any makeup, dirt, etc. (I went in with naked eyes and no contacts)
- She applies numbing cream
- While your eyes are close she begins tattooing
- Sherri likes to count 1-2-3, 1-2-3, 1-2,3 over and over again as she works on your eyes
- It feels like she does three dash marks across both eyes and then goes back and fills them in
- The whole process of doing both eyelids for the upper eyeliner takes less than 5 minutes
- After she finishes both eyes, she rubs away the black ink thats all over your face and cleans up the area
- She also cleaned my eyebrows and taught me how to take care of them properly (lol)
- Finally when its over, you go over to the mirror together to see the results
- Ice pack that same day, and the day after to reduce swelling
- No eye makeup for a week (I’m not sure if this is a rule, but this is what I choose to do)
- After a few days, the eyeliner tattoo will begin to flake off (like a real tattoo), don’t pick at it
- Don’t rinse with hot water
Permanent Eyeliner Tattoo vs. Semi-Permanent Eyeliner Tattoo
Permanent – It is what it sounds like, permanent. The problem with this however is that black permanent eyeliner eventually turns a greenish color, and no one wants that! When you are getting permanent makeup, make sure that you are going to a professional who specializes in permanent makeup. I wouldn’t recommend going to a tattoo shop or a hair salon…
Semi-Permanent – These last anywhere from 1-9 years. Eyebrow tattoos tend to last about a year, while eyeliner tattoos last on average 2-3 years before needing a touch up. What’s great about this is that you don’t have to commit yourself forever, and the color will always look great!
Alright.. That’s enough talk, lets get to the fun stuff!! The Photos!!
Below are my eyes without anything at all… pure nakedness.
Now you can see my eye right after session one. I am literally standing in the room still and Sherri took these photos for me. Ahh, look how irritated my eyes look! You know what though, different people’s eyes handle it differently. My friend Teewa came out with no problem!
I didn’t have too much swelling the rest of the day after my eyeliner tattooing, but the next morning I woke up with pretty swollen eyes. My eyes looked as if I had been crying a lot the night before. I still had some swelling two days after as well, but not as much and barely noticeable by others. My eyes were fully healed in about 5-6 days after the tattooing.
I wasn’t able to go to my second session until about 3 weeks later (after I got back from Hawaii). I liked my eyeliner tattoo, but it wasn’t visible enough and I wanted it thicker and longer. Sherri doesn’t like making eyeliner too thick, so she wouldn’t let me make it as thick as I pointed out to her.
She was however nice enough to get a brush and some black eyeliner and draw in on one of my eyes how thick she would make it. This really helped me agree with her visually.
After the session was over, we went over the same after care instructions. We were also told that after our eyes have been fully healed, we would have a week to call her if there were any touch ups that we noticed that we needed, and another appointment could be made free of charge!
Here is what my eyes currently look like. I love it!! I can literally go out without any eyeliner and I still feel beautiful.
What’s great is that I don’t really need to apply eyeliner anymore for a casual everyday look! All I have to do is extend my eyeliner tattoo by drawing in a wing or thickening the end a little bit. It’s way too easy now.
Then I just curl my eyelashes and add mascara and ta-da! I’m done!!!
Thanks so much to Sherri for doing a great job on my permanent eyeliner!
Again, here is the complete before (naked eyes) and after (fully healed after 2nd session).
What do you think?
Sherri Permanent Makeup Rating: ★★★★★
- Although she was hard to understand, Sherri knows what she is doing
- Great service and very friendly staff
- Caring and makes sure that you get the best results
- Quality of the eyeliner procedure is worth it for me if it can last 3 years (not sure if eyebrows are worth it if it lasts on average 1 year)
- Dramatic before and after results that really boost my confidence
- I save so much time in the morning not having to draw in eyeliner!!
- Makeup is semi-permanent and not permanent, so no green eyeliner 🙂
- Professional environment
- Takes cash, card, and check payment